State Bar of Montana

State Bar of Montana's

Criminal Law Section

 The purposes of the Section shall be:

  • To promote study and research in the field of criminal defense law and the related arts in the State of Montana.
  • To disseminate by lecture, seminars and publications the advancement of the knowledge of the law as it relates to the field of criminal defense practice in the State of Montana.
  • To promote the proper administration of criminal justice in the State of Montana.
  • To foster, maintain and encourage the integrity, independence and expertise of the defense lawyer in criminal cases in the State of Montana.
  • To foster periodic meetings of the criminal defense bar; to provide a forum for the material exchange of information regarding the administration of criminal justice; and thereby to protect individual rights and to improve criminal law, its practice and procedures in the State of Montana.

How to Join

Any member of the State Bar of Montana may join. Section dues are $15 per year. Become a member HERE.

Items of Interest

Every two years the Section puts on a seminar with a nationally ranked speaker, generally qualifying death penalty lawyers.

Suggested Links


Current Officers

Brian C. Smith
(406) 523-5140

Board of Trustee Liaison
Marybeth Sampsel
(406) 752-6373

New Lawyer Liaison:
Dwight Schulte
(406) 721-6655




Quick Links

Contact Us Member Search Site Map Montana Justice Foundation Montana
Montana Law Review Montana Montana Supreme Court Office of Disciplinary Counsel UM Law School

Copyright © 2000-2014 State Bar of Montana All rights reserved.
Legal Disclaimer: While we do our best to ensure that the information on this site is accurate, the information on this web site does not constitute the provision of legal advice. Additionally, this site contains links to various government information pages and reference pages useful for legal research. We do not maintain control over the content of the linked pages, and cannot be responsible for the accuracy of any information in the linked pages. For answers to specific questions, you should consult an attorney familiar with your particular situation.