Mandatory Continuing Legal Education
Reminder: New Ethics Rule in Now in Effect
All active members will now be required to obtain a minimum of 2.0 ethics credits annually. The new rule is effective beginning with the current reporting year, which runs from April 1, 2013, through March 31, 2014. The 3-year ethics reporting cycle has been eliminated.
All active Montana attorneys will begin the 2013-2014 reporting year with a clean slate in terms of ethics credits. No one will carry ethics credits from the previous year. Any ethics credits earned prior to this year were applied to the attorney's previous 3-year ethics cycle.
In addition, the requirement for substance abuse/mental impairment (SAMI) education has been eliminated. While SAMI credits will no longer be mandatory, they will continue to qualify as ethics credits in fulfillment of the yearly ethics requirement. Ethics credits may be earned by live or self-study methods.
Important! When filling out CLE Accreditation Application:
- Programs must have significant legal content
- Please DO NOT send print-outs of PowerPoint programs
- There is a $50.00 Application Fee for sponsors of CLE programs
- No application fee for members of the State Bar of Montana
- Please allow 3-4 weeks for processing
- Applications MUST be submitted by regular mail only
- Please DO NOT EMAIL or FAX APPLICATIONS