The Nonprofit Law Section of the State Bar of Montana is established to carry out the mandates in the Preamble of the Constitution of the State Bar: “to foster and maintain on the part of those engaged in the practice of law high standards of . . . public service, and conduct” and “to provide a forum for the discussion of and effective action concerning subjects pertaining to the practice of law . . . and relations of the Bar to the public; and to insure that the responsibilities of the legal profession to the public are more effectively discharged.”
The objectives of the Nonprofit Law Section of the State Bar of Montana are to:
(1) Foster relationships and collaboration between the State Bar of Montana and the Montana Nonprofit Association and their respective members;
(2) Encourage and enhance the availability of attorneys who provide legal services and advice to Montana charitable nonprofit organizations on a fee, low fee, or no fee basis;
(3) Indentify and address the legal needs of Montana charitable nonprofit organizations so those organizations succeed, thrive, and are competitive with out-of-state nonprofit organizations in attracting support and in meeting their goals and objectives;
(4) Conduct surveys and studies as necessary to identify members of the State Bar of Montana who are interested in providing legal services and advice to Montana charitable nonprofit organizations, and to match those members with nonprofits needing assistance;
(5) Survey, monitor and enhance nonprofit law and advocate for or against such changes in legislation as may be necessary to promote the success of Montana charitable nonprofit organizations;
(6) Promote nonprofit law legal education for members of the State Bar of Montana and those serving Montana charitable nonprofit organizations, including sponsorship annually of one or more continuing legal education seminars with the State Bar of Montana CLE Institute; and,
(7) Such other activities as the Section in consultation with the State Bar of Montana Trustees may determine will further these objectives.
How to Join
Any member of the State Bar of Montana may join. Section dues are $20 per year. Become a member HERE.