5th candidate files to run for 2nd Judicial District judge seat opening
Tuesday, February 13, 2018
Posted by: Joe Menden
A crowded race for a Silver Bow County District Court judge seat got even more competitive on Tuesday.
Cindy L. Walker, an attorney with Poore Roth & Robinson, P.C., in Butte, is the fifth person to file for the 2nd Judicial District seat currently held by the Honorable Bradley G. Newman.
Attorneys Brad Belke, Tim Dick, Wayne Harper, and Robert J. Whelan, all of Butte, each filed for the seat in January.
Judge Newman, 59, was first elected in 2006 and was re-elected in 2012.
According to the Montana court administrator's office, 36 state district court judge seats will be on November ballots in Montana. As of Feb. 13, there were multiple candidates for only three of those seats.
In the 13th Judicial District, Thomas Pardy of the Billings City Attorney's Office and Alexander J. Roth of Roth Law Firm in Billings are vying for a new judicial position approved by the 2017 Legislature for the 13th Judicial District (Yellowstone County).
Only one person, Ashley J. Harada of Harada Law Firm, has filed to run for a second new judge position in Yellowstone County.
In the 22nd Judicial District, which encompasses Big Horn, Carbon and Stillwater Counties, two attorneys are vying to replace the Honorable Blair Jones, who is expected to retire at the end of his term.
Matthew J. Wald, a private criminal defense attorney from Lodge Grass, and Raymond J. Kuntz, a Red Lodge attorney who handles criminal defense and civil trials, have filed for the race.
According to the Secretary of State's Office, the following candidates have filed to run in the district court races that are on ballots this year (asterisk indicates incumbent):
1st Judicial District (Lewis and Clark and Broadwater Counties)
- The Honorable Mike Menahan* of Helena*
- The Honorable Michael F. McMahon* of Helena
2nd Judicial District (Silver Bow County)
- Attorney Brad Belke of Butte
- Attorney Timothy Dick of Butte
- Attorney Wayne Harper of Butte
- Attorney Robert Whelan of Butte
- Cindy J. Walker of Butte
3rd Judicial District (Deer Lodge, Granite and Powell Counties)
- The Honorable Ray J. Dayton* of Anaconda
4th Judicial District (Missoula and Mineral Counties)
- The Honorable Leslie Halligan* of Missoula
- The Honorable Robert "Dusty" Deschamps* of Missoula
- The Honorable John W. Larson* of Missoula
5th Judicial District (Beaverhead, Jefferson and Madison Counties)
- The Honorable Luke M. Berger* of Silver Star
6th Judicial District (Park and Sweet Grass Counties)
- The Honorable Brenda Gilbert* of Clyde Park
7th Judicial District (Dawson, McCone, Prairie and Wibaux Counties)
- The Honorable Olivia Rieger* of Glendive
8th Judicial District (Cascade County)
- The Honorable Greg Pinski* of Great Falls
- The Honorable Elizabeth A. Best* of Great Falls
- The Honorable John A. Kutzman* of Great Falls
- The Honorable John W. Parker* of Great Falls
9th Judicial District (Glacier, Toole, Pondera and Teton Counties)
- The Honorable Robert G. Olson* of Shelby
10th Judicial District (Fergus, Judith Basin and Petroleum Counties
- The Honorable Jon A. Oldenburg* of Lewistown
11th Judicial District (Flathead County)
- The Honorable Amy Eddy* of Kalispell
- The Honorable Robert B. Allison* of Kalispell
- The Honorable Heidi J. Ulbricht* of Kalispell
13th Judicial District (Yellowstone County)
- The Honorable Donald L. Harris* of Billings
- The Honorable Michael G. Moses* of Billings
- Attorney Thomas Pardy of Billings
- Attorney Alexander J. Roth of Billings
- Attorney Ashley Harada of BIllings
14th Judicial District (Golden Valley, Meagher, Musselshell and Wheatland Counties)
- The Honorable Randal I. Spaulding*
15th Judicial District (Daniels, Roosevelt and Sheridan Counties)
- The Honorable David Cybulski of Plentywood
16th Judicial District (Carter, Custer, Fallon, Garfield, Powder River, Rosebud and Treasure Counties)
- The Honorable Michael Hayworth of Miles City
- The Honorable Nickolas C. Murnion of Forsyth
17th Judicial District (Blaine, Phillips and Valley Counties)
- The Honorable Yvonne Laird of Chinook
18th Judicial District (Gallatin County)
- The Honorable Holly Brown of Bozeman
- The Honorable Rienne McElyea of Bozeman
- The Honorable John C. Brown of Bozeman
20th Judicial District (Lake and Sanders Counties)
- The Honorable Kim Christopher of Polson
22nd Judicial District (Big Horn, Carbon and Stillwater Counties)
- Raymond G. Kuntz of Red Lodge
- Attorney Matthew J. Wald of Lodge Grass
This list will be updated periodically as candidates file.