Justice Initiatives Committee (JIC)
This page is for information and general items of interest for Bar members and the public. If you are a member of the JIC Committee please sign in to access the group page (under private groups)
Nominations Open Now!
Neil Haight Pro Bono Award
The Neil Haight Pro Bono Award recognizes a person who exemplifies Neil’s legacy of providing outstanding legal services to Montanans living in poverty. The nominee is a lawyer, other individual or organization which has provided pro bono services to those in need in Montana. While the nominee may be a lawyer who has provided direct pro bono legal representation, he or she may also be a court employee, paralegal, psychologist, or social worker who has provided pro bono services in aid of direct pro bono legal representation in Montana.
Karla Gray Equal Justice Award
The annual award honors a judge who has demonstrated dedication to improving access to Montana courts.
• Consideration for this prestigious award will be given to nominees who demonstrate this dedication and commitment with a combination of some or all of the below:
• Personally done noteworthy and/or considerable work improving access of all individuals, regardless of income, to the Montana court system.
• Instrumental in local Access to Justice efforts, including program development, cooperative efforts between programs, and support for community outreach efforts to improve understanding of and access to the courts.
• Active support of citizen involvement in the judicial system.
• Active support and commitment to increasing involvement of volunteer attorneys in representing the indigent and those of limited means.
Would you like to boost your income while
serving low and moderate income Montanans?
Means is a reduced fee civil representation program. When Montana Legal Services is unable to
serve a client due to a conflict of interest, lack of available assistance or
client income is slightly above Montana Legal Services Association guidelines,
they refer that person to the State Bar.
What are the benefits of joining Modest
are covered by the Montana Legal Services malpractice insurance, will receive
recognition in the Montana Lawyer and, when you spend 50 hours on Modest Means
and/or Pro Bono work, notify us to receive a free CLE certificate entitling you
to attend any State Bar sponsored CLE. State Bar Bookstore Law Manuals are
available to you at a discount and attorney mentors can be
Want to apply for Modest Means? Have any
Andrew Martinez: (406)
442-7660 ext. 2215 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ann Goldes-Sheahan: (406) 447-2201 or email email@example.com
Want to refer clients to Modest Means?
Client Referrals to Modest Means are financially screened by Montana Legal Services Association.
Contact the Committee:
Rubin and Ries Law Offices, PLLC
P.O. Box 8364
Missoula, MT 59807