The Montana Lawyer Assistance Program exists to protect the interests of clients and the general public from harm caused by impaired lawyers or judges, by confidentially assisting impaired members of the profession to begin and continue recovery, and educating the bench, the bar, and the public to the causes of, and remedies for, impairments that effect members of the legal profession.
Resources for Montana Attorneys
- Helpline - Confidential, 24-hours a day, every day - (406) 660-1181
- Lawyers Helping Lawyers Network
- Guidance and Referral - For the impaired member of the legal community or their friend, associate, spouse, or other family member. We provide information on alcohol and drug or mental health treatment programs, interventions, and family or friend support, suggestions for appropriate treatment options, as well as general education on mental health and chemical dependency issues for the legal community. This program is designed to provide help and education to lawyers, judges, paralegals, law students and faculty, and their families.
- Substance Abuse/Mental Illness (SAMI) CLE - to hold a program for local bar associations and others in the legal community, please contact Mike Larson at (406) 660-1181.
Program Support Groups
The Montana Lawyer Assistance Program runs weekly online support groups for Montana legal professionals. Groups currently meeting are:
- Addiction Recovery: Group meets every Tuesday at noon. For more information, contact Mike Larson at (406) 660-1181.
- Mental Health Support and Well-Being: Group meets every Wednesday at noon. For more information, contact Mike Larson at (406) 660-1181.
- Women's Support Group: Group meets ever Thursday at noon. For more information, contact Ann Goldes-Sheahan at (406) 447-2201.
Where to Volunteer
Become a part of the Montana Lawyer Assistance Program's statewide network. All network members will attend general education workshops. To join the network, contact Mike Larson at (406) 660-1181.
The Montana Lawyer Assistance Program is independent from any disciplinary organization and does not police, report, discipline, or otherwise threaten the career of an attorney or judge. By order of the Montana Supreme Court (Order No. 85-96), the names of all persons seeking assistance under this program shall remain confidential.
For Further Information
Hotline Counselor - Mike Larson (406) 660-1181