9 apply for new Missoula judge position
Monday, November 19, 2018
Posted by: Joe Menden
Nine attorneys have applied with the Judicial Nomination Commission for a newly created 4th Judicial District judge position.
They applicants are:
- Brenda Constance Desmond, standing master in the 4th Judicial District, Missoula
- Karen Paula Kane, assistant attorney general, Child Protection Unit supervisor, Missoula
- Lisa B. Kauffman, attorney, Montana Office of the Public Defender, Missoula
- Jason Troy Marks, Missoula County chief deputy county attorney
- Donald James McCubbin Jr., Missoula County deputy county attorney, senior attorney (criminal)
- Patrick A. Quinn, attorney, Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services, Missoula
- Jeffrey Thomas Renz, retired clinical professor, Blewett School of Law
- Tracy Labin Rhodes, owner, Tracy Labin Rhodes PLLC, Missoula
- Shane Anthony Vannatta, shareholder attorney, Worden Thane, Missoula
The applications are posted at http://courts.mt.gov/supreme/boards/jud_nomination. The commission will accept public comment on the applicants until 5 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 20. Comments can be mailed to Judicial Nomination Commission, c/o Lois Menzies, Office of Court Administrator, P.O. Box 203005, Helena, MT 59620-3005; emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; or made by phone at 406-841-2972.
The commission will forward the names of three to five nominees to Gov. Steve Bullock for appointment after reviewing the applications, receiving public comment, and interviewing the applicants if necessary. The person appointed by the governor is subject to Senate confirmation during the 2019 legislative session. The position is subject to election in 2020, and the successful candidate will serve a six-year term.