CLICK TO DOWNLOAD NOMINATING PETITION
Questions or comments: email@example.com
The State Bar of Montana will be debuting an online elections system in 2019. Members will receive voting instructions electronically as the election period approaches.
The State Bar will elect a President-Elect; a Secretary-Treasurer; and Trustees from the following bar areas:
- One Trustee from Area E (Blaine, Carter, Chouteau, Custer, Daniels, Dawson, Fallon, Fergus, Garfield, Golden Valley, Hill, Judith Basin, Liberty, McCone, Meagher, Musselshell, Petroleum, Phillips, Prairie, Powder River, Richland, Roosevelt, Rosebud, Sheridan, Treasure, Valley, Wheatland & Wibaux Counties);
- Three Trustees from Area F (Broadwater and Lewis & Clark Counties); and
- Three Trustees from Area H (Big Horn, Carbon, Stillwater, and Yellowstone Counties).
Coming in April 2019.
Board of Trustee (2-year term)
The duties of each Trustee are:
- To attend each Board meeting, unless excused by the President for good cause.
- To attend the annual meeting.
- To actively participate on all committees of which he or she is a member.
- To regularly attend the meetings of local bar associations within the Trustee’s area and provide reports about State Bar activities to the local bar members.
- To actively encourage and sponsor formation of local bar associations within the Trustee’s area and serve as a voting member on the local bar association’s governing board (where permitted)
- To serve as a liaison on the committees or sections to which the Trustee has been appointed by the President. The Trustee will:
- serve as a voting member of the committee or section and encourage the committee or section to attain the objectives assigned by the Board;
- attend meetings of the committee or section; and
- report on the committee or section activities at quarterly meetings of the Board.
- To accomplish such other purposes as may from time to time be appropriate.
President-Elect (1-year term as President; serves on Executive Committee for 3 years)
The President-Elect is a member-at-large of the Board of Trustees and the Executive Committee; and performs all other duties assigned by the President or Board of Trustees. Before assuming the ofﬁce of president, the President-Elect must present to the Board of Trustees for its consideration a proposed plan of State Bar goals and objectives for the succeeding year. The Immediate Past President is a member of the Executive Committee. Responsibilities include: (1) organizing the local bar leadership conference; (2) chairing the Past Presidents Committee; (3) serves as a liaison with out of state Bar members; (4) performs other duties as assigned by the State Bar President or Board of Trustees.
State Bar of Montana Secretary Treasurer (2-year term)
Secretary-Treasurer. The Secretary-Treasurer is a member- at-large of the Board of Trustees and a member of the Executive Committee. The Secretary-Treasurer must confer with the Executive Director and the administrative staff of the State Bar as to (i) The keeping of proper minutes and records. (ii)The maintenance of correct membership files and mailing lists. (iii) The general operation of the headquarters office. (iv) The methods and procedures used in the receipt, collection and safe-keeping of all funds of the State Bar. (v)The procedures for disbursement and audit
of such funds. The Secretary-Treasurer must assist the Executive Committee in preparing the annual budget and in presenting it to the Board of Trustees and make recommendations to the Board of Trustees as to the association’s affairs, as required.
Voting members are active, active military service and judicial members except Supreme Court justices. Only voting members may hold ofﬁce or vote in any election conducted by the State Bar. [By-laws of the State Bar of Montana, Article I, §3(c)]
A voting member is eligible to vote only in the area in which the member resides. A voting member may represent an area only if the member both resides in the area and either maintains a law practice or serves as a judicial officer in the area. [By-laws of the State Bar of Montana, Article III, §2(a)]
April 1 – Filing deadline for original nomination petitions
May 20 – Ballots must be completed
June 1 –Votes tabulated